Thursday, April 13, 2006

You can read this if you want.

I know I've been blogging a lot lately, and maybe you are tired of reading them. Well, you don't have to read this one. I will not be complaining though. And, it's not about graduation. It's something I've never written about before. I know your interest is peaked now.
Okay, so I have been reading this book by Tony Campolo called A Reasonable Faith. I wasn't impressed until I got to the second to last chapter today. He was talking about self actualization and humanism. Don't worry if you don't know what that is because I'm going to break down my favorite parts for you. If you are curious though, I do suggest you read it.
So, basically Campolo is building around Maslow's theory of self-actualization, which is that the ultimate goal of humanity is to become the most perfect human, to be fully human. Campolo suggests that the only way we can become fully human is to have an intimate relationship with the only person who is fully human, Jesus.
The most interesting thing about Campolo's Christian Humanist theology is not the above statement, which is the main premise, but its implications. The one on sin being my favorite. If we are all striving to be that most fully human, then we should also be striving to bring others to that same state. And anytime we succeed in bringing a person, including ourselves, closer to self-actualization, we have accomplished good. Anytime we fail to bring a person, included ourselves, to self-actualization, we have not accomplished good. Worse yet, if we make a person, including ourselves, feel less like a human, dehumanized, we have sinned. Whoa. Holy Moses.
Think about that. I am still trying to wrap my mind around it. But, how many times do you think you dehumanize someone? Call some driver an idiot, treat the casheir like they're stupid, or get agitated in a drive thru. We are dehumanizing them. But, even more, when we fail to humanize someone, or bring them closer to being fully human, is that a sin as well? Man, I don't know. But, I have to be honest, I am loving this new perspective on sin. I like the black and whiteness of it.
It definitely made my last trip to Walmart a little more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment