Friday, April 7, 2006

AND ANTHROPOLOGY

Today, I went to the bookstore to pick up the twenty-five announcements the school gives me for free. Before I even open the announcements, I call my mom to let her know that they are in. Then, I open them and saw what they said. Sure, they spelled my name right, but the got my degree wrong. Oh man, am I ever mad. It says I am a candidate for a Bachelor of Art's Degree in Psychology.
AND ANTHROPOLOGY!
But, do they say that? No.
The truth is, I don't really care what the announcements say. If the school didn't give them to me for free, then I wouldn't even be sending them out. But, I do care what my degree says. I do care what they say when I walk across the stage. And if they can only say one major, fine, but I want it to be Anthropology. None of the psychology professors even know my name. I don't even care about psychology anymore. Sure, I probably learned some useful things, but if I had to do it all over again, I would only do anthropology.
My fellow double major, Sara, and I are feeling as though we aren't getting a fair shake. Neither major wants to recognize us because we betrayed them in some way. It's like we are Samaritans, not fully Jewish, and not fully Gentile. But, there is one difference, we have done the same amount of work as every single major, plus the work of an entire seperate major. I only had one class that overlapped. This is ridiculous. I stayed an entire year longer because I discovered that anthropology is truly my passion, my avenue to change the world, and I don't even get the recognition for it.
Man, come Monday if something doesn't change, heads are gonna roll. I'm calling my Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment